Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: TaoBao Spree and St. Tears OP

After quite a while of having nothing new that was truly Lolita in my closet (I made a skirt for myself in May, but that was the last thing) I received a new dress in the mail last week! I'm very excited to have something new, especially something that I didn't make (and so don't constantly see the flaws!) 

I used TaoBao Spree as my shopping service, and when I got my tracking number, the email also said "if you post a review, let me know" and so... voila! This is my first review, so feel free to tell me if something could have been done better. 

TaoBao Spree
Communication
I'm very impressed with the communication. Candy was the person that helped me, and she's absolutely fantastic. She speaks English very well, and I didn't feel like anything was lost due to a language barrier. She returned my emails very quickly. When there was an issue with the pricing (I had mistaken the reserve price for the actual price) she told me about it (she was very nice about it) and said that she would include it when I paid for shipping.

Making a Purchase/Website
The website in general is very easy to navigate and read, and everything is made very clear. Their order submission form can be a little confusing for first time users, but I believe that there's a tutorial for it on the website, and as long as you sit down and look at it and don't rush, you'll be fine. The order form is an excel spreadsheet that you download from the website, fill out, and then email back to them. I'm pretty familiar with excel, so I didn't find it difficult to figure out at all. Note to the first time user: if you need custom measurements, it goes in the "buyer comments" section! 

Shipping
My dress got to me very quickly; I got my tracking number on the 28th of December and I received the package the 3rd of January! They sent it through EMS, which is the usual way that they ship, and I feel like, for the shipping speed, the price wasn't bad. The box was a little beat up, but the dress was in a little sealed plastic bag, so it was just fine.





Also, this time they included a surprise little gift with my order: a little ring! It's very cute, and a pleasant surprise.

I'm very happy with TaoBao Spree's service, and plan on continuing to use them for all my TaoBao purchases! 

St. Tears OP


I am very, VERY, excited about this dress! It is clearly made for winter as far as fabric thickness goes (the first thing I said after I picked it up was "Mom, feel this, they're not messing around: it's heavy!") and is fully lined, which I'm also very happy about. It's my most expensive dress, and the quality definitely shows it. Even my super-practical mom is really warming up to the idea of me getting more expensive dresses because they'll be better quality: she really loves this dress! She can't get over all the little details.





I ordered custom sizing (even if I wasn't a plus sized Lolita, my shoulders would still want to take over the world) and I'm pretty happy with it. The dress fits very nicely, though there isn't much movement room in the shoulders, but I think that has a lot to do with the fabric and lining. I'm still happy with it and I should still have enough movement to take notes in class or drive, so it's fine! 

Quality
 
It is very, VERY, good quality. I don't have any brand items to compare it to, but it is much better quality than my Bodyline dress. The lace is good quality as well, better than what I had for my handmade pieces and, again, far better than my Bodyline dress.
Construction
Still very good; the only downgrade is that I wish I had more room in the shoulders, but I think that's more of a my body + fabric/lining issue than actual construction. So probably more like a 4 and a half but I didn't have a half symbol. 
Likeness to Picture
It's an exact likeness, from how it fits on the model to the color of the dress, lace, and ribbons.

I'm overall very impressed, and I recommend checking out St. Tears! 

No comments:

Post a Comment